More shows under I&B Ministry’s scanner

More notices to follow as the ministry gets on a crackdown spree.

The Information and Broadcasting Ministry has already served notices to Colors and NDTV Imagine for their respective shows 'Bigg Boss 4' and 'Rakhi Ka Insaf', but a source from the ministry confirms that more notices will follow.

Though the ministry has been monitoring shows in the past and issuing warning to the channels airing offensive and objectionable content, this is the first time that the I&B Ministry dictated a change in broadcast timing.

However, while the Inter-Ministerial Committee – that looks into complaints of violation of programme and advertising codes plans its next move on the stay order on Bigg Boss, sources in I&B ministry inform that programmes like Emotional Atyachar, Splitsvilla and Roadies are also under scanner.

A highly placed source confirms, "The coming days will see more notices issued to channels if the content in programmes is found inappropriate."

We hear that Emotional Atyachar season 2 is being followed closely, while keeping a tab on Roadies 8, which is in the audition stage. Also, the ministry is not impressed by the teaser of season 5 of Splitsvilla that starts December 5.

If found objectionable, these programmes will have to face ministry's crackdown under Section 5 of the Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Act, 1995, and also get channels to take shows off prime slot.

What is Section 5 of the Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Act, 1995?
No programme can be transmitted/re-transmitted on any cable service which offends good taste or decency, contains anything obscene, defamatory, deliberate, false and suggestive innuendos and half truths; criticises, maligns or slanders any individual in person or in certain groups, segments of social, public and moral life of the country; and is not suitable for children and unrestricted public exhibition.