Sep 28|2009

Durga Puja is the time of the year when Bengali bombshell Bipasha Basu longs to be at home in Kolkata.

The actress spent her early years in the City of Joy where her grandfather initiated a special puja each year at their family home. This year, Bipasha attended her producer Ajay Devgn and his wife Kajol’s special pujo – popularly known as the Mukherjee’s Puja at the North Bombay Sarbojanin Durga Puja Charitable Trust’s pandal in Juhu, to pray for the success of Devgn Films’ All The Best – Fun Begins that is slated for an October 16 (Diwali) release.

Bipasha couldn’t be home for her own family puja but the actress didn’t miss the opportunity to pay obeisance to Ma Durga, who she says gives her strength to be the independent and successful woman that she is. Says Bipasha, “Durga Puja is a festival that is an intrinsic part of all Bengalis. Ma Durga gives me the strength to be myself. If I don’t give anjali on ashtami, I feel very sad.

It is my connect with my childhood memories.” Her eyes light up in delight as she continues, “During Durga Puja we used to get new clothes and extra pocket money. All of us kids would cut fruit, make chandan (sandalwood) paste, distribute prasad and bhog in the pada (community) and lots of adda (chats) over the sound of the dhak and the dhol. I miss the Kolkata Puja and I try and take darshan at the local pandals of Mumbai each year. This year John, my didi, nephew Anitej and niece Nia were with me. We missed my parents and my younger sister Vijayeta who are in the United Kingdom currently.