April 21,2009

Dia Mirza’s latest offering Jai Veeru tanked at the BO, but the perky actress is not letting that dampen the excitement of her forthcoming five
films.

And her bittersweet experiences in B-town have only taught the actress to take both success and failure in her stride. “Success is good company, but failure’s a good teacher,” she says. And having tasted both in a short span has only made her that much more determined. Armed with gorgeous looks, what’s keeping her from reaching the top. “That one solo hit to my credit,” she smiles. “I strongly believe in talent. But that doesn’t mean that the talent will always get the kind of film that it deserves,” adds the actress.

In retrospect, Dia says, “Right from being crowned Miss Asia Pacific to working with some of the best names in the industry, I’ve never had to struggle to get where I am today. Maybe, I took it all for granted. The failure of some of my films have made success more precious now.” However, Dia insists that she doesn’t regret any of her films. “More than the BO status, what matters to me is the experience I’ve had while working on a film. Several films have not clicked at the BO. I’ve been kicked around, I’ve tasted mud. But my choices have earned me respect today. And I cherish that,” says Dia giving surface to the strength that lies underneath that demure frame. “Every experience has been valuable. After all, there’s no better way to learn than from your own mistakes. And I have learnt that only the tough survive here.”

On screen, Dia has also clearly avoided being typecast in any image. “I consciously veer away from stuff that I have done already. That may mean losing out on some good projects at times.” Excited about the mixed fare that she has, she says, “I am very happy with the kind of work coming my way. That I’m not being typecast in any one image means that I am balancing the genres quite well.”

From a comedy Fruit-n-Nut, to a romantic comedy with Arshad Warsi to an issue-based Kisaan and from working with actors like Amitabh Bachchan in Johnny Mastaana to playing a femme fatale in Acid Factory, Dia’s juggling all of it with great elan. Probe her further for any favourites and she says, “They all come with their own sugar and spice, so it’s hard to pick any one.”

Films apart what stokes the creative fire in her is her passion for painting. And those who’ve had a dekho at her works swear by her talent. But inspite of several offers from art collectors and art cuartors the actress refuses to use her art work for commercial purposes. “It’s not something that I do professionally. It’s just my hobby and my genes ensure that I’m good at it,” smiles Dia, who’s dad was a renowned painter himself.

As forthcoming about her personal life as she’s about her professional life, Dia admits that she’s a die-hard romantic and waiting for ‘my prince charming’. As for the rumours and constant speculation about her love life, she says, “I am usually updated about my link-ups and break-ups by my friends who have a good laugh over all the baseless rumours. I want to have a beautiful steady relationship someday, but nothing is on for now,” she sets the record straight.