April 10,2009

Imran Khan tells KT why he finds it weird to be called ícoolí and how he and Aamir are staid, solid guys who rate 10
on fidelityÖ

The beginning of oneís film career is usually a fun time when actors take up inconsequential films for the heck of it. But you seem awfully serious from the word go.

You know how some people become actors because all their lives they wanted to be just that. They spent their childhood looking at the mirror and mouthing Amitabh Bachchanís dialogues or practicing different expressions in the mirror? That was never me. Abbas Tyrewala came to me, I liked him, and I liked the film. As far as films go, I just enjoy the process, the acting. I enjoy working with a director. The rest is frills .

So, you donít like the trappings that come with being a star Ö
Itís not that I donít like them, everyone enjoys them. Itís just that they donít matter so much to me. A lot of times when I go to the theatre, and I get free tickets and free popcorn, I feel uncomfortable.The revenue from those three or four tickets will not go to the distributor or the producer, so for me thatís bad.

Are you comfortable with being called cool?
No, and I think it has something to do with the fact that when I was in school I wasnít really a cool guy. You know there are always those guys who have great clothes, and date beautiful girls. That wasnít me. It has happened that I would attend parties and nobody would be talking to me except two or three friends. Now when I go to a party everyone comes up to me and talks. So itís weird.

Youíve been saying no to a lot of filmmakers.Why?
There are a number of things. The most obvious reason is that a lot of scripts are just not good. Then there are a lot of scripts, which are not the kind I am looking to do.