A teleseries on the life and times of Gautam Buddha is all set to capture audiences' attention on Sunday mornings. The show, titled Buddha, will be a finite one with 52 episodes.

Dr BK Modi of Spice Studios, producer of the show, had initially toyed with the idea of making a film on the spiritual leader. At one point, even filmmakers Shekhar Kapur and Ashutosh Gowariker were creatively involved with the project.

Says the producer, "At first, I had thought of making this show for the audiences abroad. But when I realised that most people in India do not know the details of Buddha's life, I changed my mind. Also, now that Indian television has effectively adopted digital formats and VFX techniques, we can make a great show filled with drama, fantasy and action."

On why he opted for a finite show, Modi says, "We want the episodes to progress like a film. I don't want the show to drag ó the viewers will get bored." The show will feature many popular actors, including Kabir Bedi, Sameer Dharmadhikari and Nigaar Khan.

Buddha will air every Sunday at 11 am from September 8.