Mumbai, Jan 28 Contrary to the producer’s claim that Neil Nitin Mukesh was dropped for the “Sahib, Biwi Aur Gangster” sequel, the actor says he was the one who opted out of the project.
Recently, the makers of “Sahib, Biwi…”, which originally featured Randeep Hooda, Jimmy Shergill and Mahie Gill, said that Neil has been “replaced” by Irrfan Khan as part of a creative decision. But Neil has another story to tell.
“I opted out. I had already played the horny mean husband in ’7 Khoon Maaf’. Doing it again would have made no sense,” said Neil.
To the producer’s claim that Irrfan has stepped into the part that Neil was ousted from, Neil said: “Everyone wants to show that the right to choose is his. It doesn’t make any difference to me.”
Neil had in principle, said yes to the role for the film, to be directed by Tigmanshu Dhulia.
“But then on paper, the character came out (to be) much older. At this point in my career, I don’t want to repeatedly play older, mean characters, specially after ’7 Khoon Maaf’,” he said.
Neil says there are lots of similarities between the characters in ’7 Khoon Maaf’ and the ‘Sahib, Biwi…’ sequel.
“Before the final draft of the script was sent to me, I was quite kicked by doing the mean act again. But after I read the script, I found a lot of similarities between this script and ’7 Khoon Maaf’,” he explained.
Interestingly, the sequel purports to bring back Hooda’s character from the dead. His character died in the original movie, but he is being touted as a part of the sequel.
Hooda himself is clueless as to how he would return to the film.
Significantly, Sunil Bohra, who was a partner in the production of “Sahib, Biwi…”, has opted out of the sequel.
Sources close to Bohra claim he couldn’t see eye to eye with the director any more.